Happy 2022! It is officially the new year, which means it’s time to begin implementing those New Year's resolutions we all vow to complete. Whether it’s going to the gym every day, reading more, or having a different routine, all of us choose a different route to take. However, it is important to remember to give yourself a break. In my life especially, I get caught up on the “should haves” and “would haves”—I should have done this better, or I would have done it this way if I could do it again. The best life lesson I’ve learned, and one I think we should all learn at some point in our life, is that perfection does not equal happiness. Instead of wasting time striving for perfection, it’s best to start to find joy in the little things. It’s time to start seeing “mistakes” as learning opportunities. Obviously, these aren’t easy feats—Rome wasn’t built in a day. So here is my advice to all of you, the top ten things I learned in 2021.
1. Stop and smell the roses, literally and figuratively. This expression simply means appreciating and recognizing the goodness in our lives. At the end of every day, I try to write down or tell someone something good that happened to me. Sometimes it’s as simple as seeing a pretty view. Pick out one small thing each day.
2. Tell people you love them. They need to hear it, it’s as easy as that. Give love to others and they will give it right back to you.
3. Everything does happen for a reason, but if you don’t understand the reason yet, you’re still stuck in the happening. This is my favorite current quote, and I think it’s important to continue to tell ourselves this through the hard times.
4. Smile more. This one’s easy, put joy out into the world. It’ll soon come back to you. Also, it takes more muscles for your face to frown, so give your muscles a break if you think like that!
5. Find peace in the unknown. Life isn’t meant to stick to one plan.
6. Outgrowing friendships is a part of life. It doesn’t mean either person did something wrong
7. Don’t alter your personality or habits to please others. Authenticity is the best thing you can have.
8. Be genuine. Simple as that.
9. Want to make mistakes!! It’s the only way to grow
10. Mental health matters. Check-in on those around you and be honest with yourself.
Sami Cohen is a BBG from Rocky Mountain Region and is a big fan of sunsets, Taylor Swift, and a good book.
All views expressed on content written for The Shofar represent the opinions and thoughts of the individual authors. The author biography represents the author at the time in which they were in BBYO.
For I am a B’nai B’rith Girl. Strength and dignity are my clothing. Forever and always.
Get The Shofar blasted to your inboxSubscribe