Being stuck at home is probably not your first choice of what you want to be doing right now, and I’m guessing that at some point during quarantine, you’ve come across a state of boredom where you can’t think of anything to do. So here are ten things to do to make your experience a little more entertaining.
- BBYO On Demand is a fantastic platform to connect with all your friends virtually. Take advantage of it because we are so lucky that even though we are stuck at home, we can still connect over the internet and social media. This is also a super cool opportunity to get involved in your chapter and plan a program. Use it as a chance to explore different leadership opportunities and enjoy programming that probably wouldn’t have happened otherwise.
- Exercise but make it fun: is super important because it releases stress and will make you feel good. A lot of the time, It can be hard to motivate yourself, but you can fix that. You don’t just have to run or situps. There are so many different ways to move your body. Try yoga or going on a bike ride.
- Another thing you can do is document your experience. Create a video journal or write down your exercise and how you feel. This could help you set a routine, so finding that motivation won’t be so hard anymore.
- Themed Dinners: You can get creative with a themed dinner or meal for you and your family. Transport them to a funky themed restaurant, or maybe you are having a first-class meal on an airplane. You can decorate where you want to eat in your house and make the food fit the theme. Whatever you do, use your imagination and see where it takes you.
- Art Journal: Find a notebook or Journal and get creative. I have one, and it is one of my favorite things to do. Every day I fill a page with anything I want. Whatever I’m am feeling that day is usually reflected through the art I put on that page. Somedays I paint, somedays I do a collage, and sometimes I write words that describe how I’m feeling. It doesn’t have to make sense or even look good; it’s just about expressing yourself and finding an outlet for how you’re feeling.
- Group Games: You can still have fun with your friends virtually by playing games like psyche and photo roulette. I love doing this with my camp friends, and it’s super easy. It’s even more fun to all go on group facetime while you do it. Just download either of these games on your phone and gather a group of friends.
- Netflix Party: If you don’t know what Netflix party is yet, then now you do. Download it to your browser and watch Netflix with your friends from home. This is a super cool way to continue to watch shows with your friends because a chat shows up next to the video so you can talk about whats going on.
- Read or listen to a book: This idea might seem super unoriginal, but I guarantee that many of you reading this have not even thought to read a book unless it was for school. During the school year, reading for pleasure can be hard sometimes because of sports, homework, and other afterschool activities. But now is your chance. The feeling of finding a good book, one that you can’t put down, and want to read every second is fantastic. A good story can help take your mind off the insane world we live in and relax. And if you’re not a massive fan of reading, try an audiobook. Audiobooks are super lovely if you want a good story but don’t want to read. They are also enjoyable to listen to when you have to do something you might not want to like to clean your house.
- Binge a TV show: Now that you have all this free time, start a new TV show. I guarantee you will enjoy yourself. If you feel like you’ve already seen all the shows on Netflix or Hulu that you would like, pick a show that’s a little out of your comfort zone, it might surprise you. I started watching The Vampire Diaries the first week of quarantine, and I’m already on season 6. Whoops, but I don’t regret it one bit because it’s so fun to get so involved in a show that you have to keep watching.
- Have a You day: Treat yourself to some relaxation because you deserve it. This day is all about you and feeling good. If it’s sunny and warm, try starting your summer tan a little early. Listen to music and enjoy yourself, maybe do some skincare, paint your nails, or sit around in your pajamas all day.
- Virtual museums: So many of the most famous museums are offering virtual tours. This is a great way to visit a museum in a place you’ve never been to or have always wanted to go to. You can learn something new, and it’s a great way to explore what the world has to offer even if it’s from your own home.
Elena Rubens Goldfarb is a BBG from Yachad BBG #159 in Northern Region East: DC Council #54 and her favorite food is potatoes.